Now Reading
Haiti PM Ariel Henry restricted from leaving country amid murder investigation

Haiti PM Ariel Henry restricted from leaving country amid murder investigation

Ariel Henry, Haiti’s Prime Minister has been restricted from leaving the country following a scrutiny into his alleged involvement in the murder of President Jovenel Moïse.

BBC reports that a prosecutor is pursuing charges against the new prime minister, who has been asked to clarify his links with a suspect in the killing, Joseph Felix Badio.

According to the prosecutor, records indicate the two men had numerous phone calls just hours after the assassination.

Nexus News recalls that Mr Moïse was killed at home on 7 July after gunmen raved his private residence in a suburb of the capital, Port-au-Prince.

Late President Jovenel Moïse

His death initiated a political crisis which was heightened when a huge earthquake attacked the south of Haiti a month ago.

Prosecutors have said records collected from phone operator Digicel have corroborated that Mr Badio – a justice ministry official accused of planning the assassination – and Mr Henry spoke twice shortly after Mr Moïse’s killing.

Also, geolocation data indicated that Mr Badio, who disappeared after the murder and is presently being sought by police, was speaking from the scene of the crime. He has not publicly commented on these claims.

In a letter seen by the BBC on Tuesday, Chief Prosecutor Bed-Ford Claude encouraged the judge investigating the killing to charge Mr Henry over his “suspected” involvement in the case.

No further details were given and it is not apparent what precise charges are being pursued against Mr Henry.

Recently, rhe prime minister dismissed what he called “diversionary tactics” planned to “sow confusion” without reacting to the specific accusations levied against him.

See Also

Previously, Mr Henry has told local media that he knew Mr Badio and defended him, stressing that he did not believe he was involved because he did not have the means.

Mr Henry was granted a deadline of Tuesday 14 September to provide the investigation with information.

This comes as authorities amplify their efforts to arrest additional suspects in the assassination.

According to the Police, there are now 44 people held in custody in connection with the plot, including 18 retired members of the Colombian military.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll To Top