Haiti Prime Minister Ariel Henry has been invited by the Haiti’s head prosecutor to come forth and clarify his relationship with the prime suspect in the assassination of President Jovenel Moise.
Nexus News recalls that President Moise was assassinated on 7th July when gunmen raided his home.
According to Prosecutor Bedford Claude, Mr Henry had numerous phone calls with the suspect Joseph Felix Badio few hours after the murder.
Mr Claude said Mr Henry was being “invited” to attend, as he did not have the authority to officially summon him.
Furthermore, prosecutors said records collected from phone operator Digicel corroborated that Mr Badio and Mr Henry spoke twice on 7 July just hours after President Moise’s killing.
Geolocation data also indicated that Mr Badio, whose location is presently unknown, was communicating from the scene of the crime.
In a letter to the Prime Minister, Mr Claude stressed that his invitation was optional, but said that it was justified given what he called a “case of extreme gravity for the nation”.
The hearing at the Court of First Instance of Port-au-Prince is slated for 10 am on Tuesday.
Investigators have reportedly claimed that Mr Badio, a former official with the Ministry of Justice, may have been involved in organizing the murder. He has not publicly commented on these allegations.
Previously, Mr Henry has told local media that he knew Mr Badio and defended him, augmenting that he didn’t think Badio was implicated because he didn’t have the means.
A spokesperson for Mr Henry’s office told the Associated Press that he would not comment on the invitation.
The invitation comes as authorities double down on their efforts to apprehend more suspects in the assassination.
Police say there are now 44 people in custody in connection with the plot, including 18 retired members of the Colombian military.